- Sending Data Using Webhooks
- Naming Your Delivery
- Delivering to Webhook
- Formatting The Data
- Applying Filters
- Using Advanced Options
- Send Your Content
Sending Data Using Webhooks
Webhooks are an increasingly common way to trigger exchanges between internet-based services. They generally require some technical or developer knowledge to use, but with a product like Zapier, webhooks can let Analytics data be delivered to a wide range of places.
You can immediately send data to a webhook from an Explore, Look or dashboard using the Send option without setting up a schedule. In the case of an Explore, you can send a query immediately, without having to save the query to a dashboard or a Look.
After choosing Send from the gear menu in the right upper corner, choose Webhook in the Where should this data go section. You’ll see the following options:
Naming Your Delivery
Give the content a unique title in the Title row. The title is included in the webhook payload under the Title field.
Delivering to Webhook
In Where should this data go, choose Webhook. The Webhook URL section appears and prompts you for the webhook address. The data or visualization is delivered to that webhook address.
Formatting The Data
In Format data as, choose the format of the data in your delivery.
For dashboards, you can choose:
- PDF (Tiled): Your dashboard in PDF format with all tiles arranged as in the dashboard.
- PDF (Single Column): Your dashboard in PDF format with all tiles shown in a single vertical column.
- Visualization (Tiled): The visualization of your dashboard (in a single PNG file showing tiles arranged as in the dashboard).
- CSV Zip File: The unformatted data from your dashboard, delivered as a collection of comma-separated values (CSV) files in a zipped directory.
For Looks and Explores, you can choose:
- Text: The data table of your Look as a tab-delimited text file attachment.
- CSV: The data table of your Look as a comma-separated text file attachment.
- HTML: The data table of your Look as an HTML file attachment.
- JSON — Simple: The data table of your Look as a JSON file attachment.
- JSON — Detailed, Inline: The data table of your Look submitted directly in the webhook request, with additional details, such as cache information, the time when the query was completed, and how long it took the query to run.
- JSON — Simple, Inline: The data table of your Look submitted directly in the webhook request.
- XLSX: The data table of your Look as an Excel file attachment.
If you are sending a Look or dashboard and it has filters, you can specify the filters for the content to customize the results for each set of recipients. For example, you might send regional teams results that are filtered for their states of interest:
Click Filters to see and modify the filters associated with this Look or dashboard.
Using Advanced Options
The Advanced options section provides additional customizations for your delivery.
When sending Looks and Explores, you can limit the size of your delivery. Select one of the following limit options for your data:
- Results in Table: Data is sent as a single delivery.
- All Results: Data is streamed. This is useful for large data sets, as it bypasses file-size, browser, and memory limitations.
If you choose "Results in Table," Analytics will obey whatever row limitations you've set up in the saved Look or the Explore. If you choose "All Results," Analytics will return all the rows of the query, regardless of any saved Look settings, and regardless of Analytics's typical 5,000 row limit. This can be desirable for retrieving very large datasets, but you should use caution to ensure the query is not too large for your database.
For some data delivery format options, you can specify delivering the data values using formatting applied in the Look or dashboard. For example, you can show column totals or preserve special formatting of numbers.
Apply Visualization Options
For Looks, Explores, and the CSV format of dashboards, you can configure the data delivery to use the same options as your visualization:
- Select apply visualization options if you want to apply some of the visualization settings to your data delivery, causing your data delivery to appear similar to a table chart. Any of the following settings in the Plot and Seriesmenus that are configured for the visualization will be applied to the data delivery:
- Unselect apply visualization options if you do not want these visualization options applied. Analytics sends the data as it appears in the Data section of the Look, Explore, or a dashboard tile's Explore from Here window.
Formatted Data Values
For Looks, Explores, and the CSV format of dashboards, you can configure the data's formatting:
- Select formatted data values if you want the data to appear more similar to the Explore experience in Analytics, although some features (such as linking) aren't supported by all file types.
- Unselect formatted data values if you do not want to apply any special formatting of your query results, such as rounding long numbers or adding special characters your Analytics developers may have put in place. This is often preferred when data is being fed into another tool for processing.
Send Your Content
When you have selected all the options for your delivery, click the Send button to send your content.
For an detailed example how to schedule data via Webhook explained step by step please click here.